15 January 2010

Oh Barbara...



One of my favorite Christmas presents that I received this year was I Am Not This Body by Barbara Ess. It has been on my wishlist for years now and I finally got it! It is better than I imagined. Not only is it full of beautiful photographs that Ess has taken over the years but it also has some pretty amazing interviews of her, including one by a Mr.Thurston Moore. That's right, the founder of Sonic Youth. Why, one might ask, would he be included in a pinhole photography book? Apparently, and this is something that you will not find in any of her biographies, is that she was at one time the bassist for the punk/noise band The Static which happened to play at the club where Sonic Youth first performed. I know. This creator of haunting, dream-like photographs that seem to whisper to you was, and still is in her new project, Radio Guitar, an ass-kicking rocker. Seriously though, the book is fantastic and a new favorite of mine. (Click here to purchase yours from Aperture) 
 

1 comment:

  1. So much I didn't know about her. I didn't get to look at the book when it was here, wah!

    ReplyDelete